On Saturday 22 February, I had an opportunity to attend a Young Women’s Empowerment Conference in my hometown Harare. This event was put together by an organisation called SHE ROARS. SHE ROARS is an organisation that empowers young girls and women to break gender stereotypes and help them find opportunities. One thing that stood out at this conference was, there was someone who was translating the presentations into sign language for the deaf. This is really important as no one should be left behind because of a disability or special needs.
Among the presenters, we had Honourable Minister Monica Mutsvangwa (Minister of Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services) and media personality Ruvheneko Parirenyatwa.
Some of the valuable lesson I learnt from the conference:
1. Its crucial to build your self-esteem
2. It’s important to take care of our mental health
3. It is essential to be financially literate. How many financial books have I read?
4. I learned to be distinct, as distinction makes you different from another person
5. Don’t leave another sister behind. Carry other women along when opportunities come
One thought on “Young Women Empowerment Conference”
Wow amazing piece!